Okay… I know some of you are probably thinking… Sarah has gone crazy… this is DISGUSTING! But I have to tell you… it is totally NOT! It is really delicious, and super healthy and nutritious! REALLY… I promise!! Honestly, I like liver to begin with, but I think that cooked this way, it is palatable, even to someone, who is not thrilled about liver. If you are still not convinced, please consider the following information about liver:
- Liver is densely nutritious (practically a super food!) and is high in Protein, Vitamin A, Riboflavin, Niacin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Vitamin B12, Pantothenic Acid, Phosphorus, Copper and Selenium .
- Liver has a very low glycemic index .
- Eating liver may help you to lose weight .
- Liver may prevent diseases, such as anemia .
- Eating liver may also prevent cardiovascular diseases and heart attacks .
- I have heard that eating liver benefits your liver!
So… after hearing all of this are you willing to give liver a try?? Please let me know what you think if you do! Here is the recipe!
- 1 1/2 lb calf livers (these are better tasting and more tender than regular beef livers)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 large cooking onions, sliced into rings
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 8 pieces of bacon
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. In a glass baking dish, lay out all of the pieces of liver. Cover each piece completely with the sliced onions. When I say cover completely, I mean it.. this makes the liver taste really good! Drizzle the olive oil over the livers, and sprinkle the salt and pepper over the livers. Place in the oven and bake for about 30-35 minutes, or until the liver and onions are cooked completely. While the livers are cooking, fry the bacon until the slices are crispy and place them on a paper towel to drain the fat away. When everything is done serve the liver with 2 pieces of bacon per person. Enjoy!Serves 4, WW P+: 9 per serving, or if you do not serve with bacon, 6 per serving.